Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Gift of Baby Greta

BabyGreta_0286

A few weeks ago, I had the pleasure to photograph a cute little family and their newest addition. Camille had emailed me months before and wanted to make sure we got Greta at the perfect age. Of course some things change once the baby came, especially when she came early, and so we waited a few weeks until Greta was able to come home finally to her family. We worried she wouldn’t sleep, but after a while she finally zonked and was such a perfect angel baby for the session. As stated in my last blog post, I have started to finally share the stories found behind the pictures I take. Everyone has a story, a road they had to take to get to where they are at today. And this family has an incredible story filled with courage, sorrow, faith, and joy. I was able to photograph this family last fall, and it is always amazing when I can photograph one more step of their journey as a family. I was deeply touched by this family, more than they will know. Enough from me. Let’s get on to their story and pictures:

Is there a special significance to Greta's name? Greta was just a named that we both liked and both agreed on.  However, her middle name is Jenice which is my maternal grandma's name that passed away from cancer when I was a baby. BabyGreta_0372sepia

How did you feel once Greta came to your family? Did you wait a long time for her? Back in 2008 I got pregnant and was due on April 2009.  We found out we were having a girl and named her Maren.  I went to a Doctor's appointment when I was 40+wks pregnant with Maren and found out she had passed away.  Deciding to get pregnant again so soon was scary and overwhelming.  Three months after delivering and burying Maren we got pregnant with Greta and found out we were due in April 2010.  My pregnancy with Greta was an emotional rollercoaster of feelings about having another girl only a year later.  So, yes, it does seem like we had been waiting forever for Greta.  Well, not Greta specifically but for another living child.  Having her spend almost 4wks. in the NICU kind of drug things out when we were so anxious to bring her home.  We were nervous how we would feel once Greta was born but it's been a wonderful, healing experience. BabyGreta_0130sepia

BabyGreta_0137

What is your favorite thing about Greta? Other than that she's a pretty great sleeper?  lol.  I love how snuggly she is.BabyGreta_0159sepia

BabyGreta_0149 

BabyGreta_0126 

BabyGreta_0036

How is being a mom to two different from being a mom to one? Splitting the time between the two has been an adjustment.  I can't always attend to Spencer as quick as I'd like to and sometimes I have to let Greta cry when something with Spencer needs to be done.  It also takes a lot longer to get out the door to go somewhere.  Overall, it hasn't been as difficult or scary having two as I had imagined.

BabyGreta_0189

BabyGreta_0087(This is Spencer’s “yawn” face. It looks more like a monster face to me, but we all were just cracking up, and he just soaked up all of the attention!) 

How is Spencer handling being a big brother? Is he a good helper? Spencer has been a great big brother so far.  He likes to come sit with me while I'm nursing Greta or changing diapers, etc.  He also loves to give her hugs and kisses and always wants to hold her.

  BabyGreta_0384

BabyGreta_0218

What do you want to remember most about this time with Greta as a newborn, years down the road? I want to remember how little and cuddly she was.  That time passes so quickly.  Spencer is only 3.5yrs. old and I already can't believe how big he is and miss the time when he was just a baby.

BabyGreta_0314

What would you like to teach Greta when she is older? So many things.  Most of all, I want to teach her the things that will lead her to be a compassionate, intelligent woman who knows who she is.

 BabyGreta_0298

BabyGreta_0269  Camille (and family), it seriously was the biggest pleasure of mine to photograph your family and to share your story. Thank you for sharing your loss, your healing, and the joy you hare having with sweet Greta. I am deeply touched by your courage and faith, and am so thankful that the heavens blessed your home with sweet Greta.  She seriously is an angel.

Thank you everyone for stopping by today. Have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day weekend with the ones that you love best :)

1 comment:

Stan said...

Beautiful post. It brings back memories of my trial to have children. I wish I had an awesome photographer documenting my journey. I love the emotional touch to these gorgeous pictures of Greta and her beautiful family. Truly a blessing from heaven.