Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A Missionary’s Story - Jacob

Elder058 Yesterday evening, I had the neatest opportunity. I was able to photograph a missionary who was about 12 hours away from entering the MTC and going to serve the Lord for 2 years in Spain. His mom has been a friend of my mom’s longer than I have lived (actually I’m pretty sure his mom came to my birth),  and she was devastated that she would not be able to fly out here to drop off her 2nd son on his mission, and she asked if I could work something out so I could take the pictures that next day. I was more than thrilled to do so. And let me tell you, it was the neatest experience, especially because I was able to learn a little more about Jacob’s story.

You know what I’ve decided? I want to share the stories. Real true stories that go behind these pictures that I am lucky enough to take. Sometimes I know the story, and sometimes I really don’t. But from now on my goal is to not only share with you pictures, but real stories that help make people who they are. So after rushing to Wal-Mart with my Mom (who was my wonderful assistant), we grabbed a tape recorder to ask Jacob some questions. I knew he wouldn’t be able to email me back these answers, so this was the best way. I hope you will feel inspired even through the couple questions that he answers about why he is here and some of his feelings right before starting this great new adventure.

What are you looking forward to the most about this mission experience?
Definitely having my horizon broadened. Just having culture shock. Having to change, having to adapt, and learning to blend in where I don't normally belong. I just want to grow.

How do you feel about eating the food there in Spain?
I am a little apprehensive, but I am excited. Because I hate fish, and it's a lot of seafood. But I like variety, so it should be interesting.

Elder025

Elder062

When you said good-bye to your parents what was your response?
I didn't get emotional, that wasn't the response I had to it. It didn't effect me that way, it was more like I'm ready to go right now, I'm excited, I'm pumped, I feel empowered, I need to do something about it right now. That sort of thing.

Elder065

Who was the most influential person that helped you get to where you are at right now?
To be COMPLETELY honest, it was my girlfriend Dani. She was the big convincing swing. When we started to get really serious, I started thinking a lot more, really started to think about everything, and I realized that I wanted to be the best person I could be for her. And I knew that going on a mission was a sure way to put myself in that direction. After a lot of thinking and self-evaluation, I knew that this is what I needed to do, and especially if I wanted to be the person I needed to be for her, and deserve her.

Elder066 And the neatest part of that last question, is that Dani, herself, is also leaving on her own mission this August. They will both be serving the Lord at the same time and growing apart, yet together in a way that is so incredible and real. The significance to the ring that Jacob is wearing is that it is his own promise ring he wears to remind himself of Dani. I seriously just can’t believe how amazing his story really is.

Elder009

Elder069ctex

Elder073 And of course when I told him if he wanted some fun goofy pictures, he JUMPED at the opportunity to be himself and to hopefully help make his mom laugh and remember her goofy son :) He seriously was a ham!

Elder048

Elder049

Elder026

Elder050

Elder056

What would you like to say to your parents?
I love you Mom and Dad. Thank you so much for always being such a consistent and constant example to me. I think of all of the effort to push me through to the right way. I definitely needed it. I want to also say thank you for never giving up on me and always seeing the person that you knew I could be.

Elder098bw

Elder099Thank you so much Jacob for sharing your story with us. I hope it has touched more than your family and I. I know you will be a fantastic missionary and that the Lord will bless you. Valerie, Dani, and family, I hope this little extra surprise made your day, love you!

6 comments:

Stan said...

This made me tear up and I was even there asking the questions and seeing you take pictures. Valerie will love em. You did such a great job, I love you. We had fun huh? We need to do that some more. I think I make a great assistant don't you think? Jacob will be such a awesome missionary. It's neat to see the journey from birth to mission. I was there at his birth and nearly off on his mission. Glad you captured this moment.

Anonymous said...

This is awesome! Interestingly enough, I know the daughter of a mission President (and Hermana!) in Spain! What mission is he serving in?

andreaKphotography said...

These are amazing!! I just love your work so much Angela. You are fabulous with that off camera light. I need to learn that!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing these pictures! It was great to see Jacob a few weeks ago at our Papaw's birthday party, and we're excited for this next stage of his life. I'm sure Aunt Valerie & Uncle Paul will love these pictures! I was waiting for the goofy ones :) Wasn't sure who that kid was until I saw those!

kellee said...

I know this boy and he is going to be an AMAZING missionary! Definitely one of God's warriors!! And I know his amazing family and I know his mother is going to LOVE these photos! You do amazing work!

the mrs. said...

your photos are amazing and so are the stories behind them! thanks for sharing them :)