Friday, March 17, 2006

Katrina Q. and Jared B.'s Love Story

Jared and I met WAY back in the day. I think I was 13 and he was nearing 15. He was the best friend of my best friend's older brother and we had bother heard stories about each other. My friend was madly in love with Jared and decided that I had to meet him. So the day came for the introduction and neither of us were really prepared (at that age something like this is definitely a big deal, haha); Jared tried to climb out onto the roof to avoid meeting me and I ran beneath the stair landing to avoid meeting him. Thus started our long love/hate relationship.


Nearly every weekend for the next three years we saw each other at our friends' house, playing night games, which were our version of "grown-up tag." When I was 15 we suddenly discovered that we had crushes on each other at the same time, but we quickly found out that our extremely similar personalities made arguments at the ready. As I entered the dating game at age 16, we both began drifting our separate ways until we no longer saw each other often and rarely spoke. And this is when I had a dream. I dreamed one night of my wedding day but saw nothing of my groom except his eyes: dark green around the outside of the irises and progressing to gold around the pupil. This vivid dream struck me and I wrote it in my journal then shared it with my mother.


Years later, after Jared returned from his mission and had been home nearly a year, we began corresponding again. We had connected on Facebook and began to catch up. One thing led to another and we began seeing each other again. After realizing the old flame had been rekindled and that we were mature enough to handle our numerous similarities, we began dating. As we started dating we discovered that it was easy, everything seemed natural between us. From holding hands for the first time to sharing our first kiss, nothing was awkward or forced, but felt completely right and natural, as if we had been doing this our whole lives. We were at complete ease around each other, able to fully and absolutely be ourselves.


It was winter when we had begun dating, and sun had been nowhere to be seen in several months. One day, Jared told me about his eyes: "They're really weird when I get sunlight in them. There is a dark green ring around them and then the inside turns to gold." My heart nearly stopped beating. He had described the eyes I had seen in my dream years and years before. I said nothing of it, but waited for a day of sun, making him promise to show me his eyes. When this day finally came I was completely awe-struck. I looked into his eyes and looked into the eyes I had seen in my dream. I knew then that I would love him forever and be his forever.

No comments: