Friday, March 17, 2006

Mercedes B. and Trefton D.'s Love Story

As I was beginning my second trimester in the 10th grade, I was looking forward to my new classes. I enjoyed school, and I loved to learn and be with friends. I rarely had friends in my classes however, and I knew that this trimester wasn’t going to be any different. I walked into my new third period, algebra. With a big smile on my face, I sat in front of a kid I had seen but never spoken to.


By the second week of class, this so called “kid”, or Trefton, had asked me to give him all of my past assignments. It was for him to “look over” he said. I however, knew his real intentions. We had an older teacher, quite ornery, and never cracked a smile. Thankfully she never caught on to our awful act, so we continued to do it every day. I didn’t care, he was cute. He didn’t care; he didn’t have to do any work.


Trefton played sports and was popular. He had wavy brown hair, big brown eyes, and so hilarious! He was tall, very masculine and all the girls were in love with him. He dated the cheer leaders, the more outgoing and confident girls. I played sports, and was more on the quite side when it came to boys. We were opposites.
As weeks went by, he wasn’t just a kid who copied off my papers; we started to have real conversations. We would talk, laugh, and joke about things that had nothing to do with math. I couldn’t wait to get to school, just to see him, just to talk to him in third period.


We began to talk outside of class; he even got my number and called me sometimes. He thrived off of teasing me, or laughing about the jokes that he had to repeat three times because I never got them. He came over to my house once just to show me his new car. He was so excited and talked and pointed at all of the new and improved gadgets. I had no idea what he was talking about but I pretended anyways. He was funny, mysterious and different than all the other boys. I wanted a part of him, even if he wasn’t aware of that.


We officially went on our first double date on Valentine’s Day of our sophomore year, with my grandparents and all the grandkids. We went bowling and then to Arby’s for dinner. Talk about romantic. We dated the rest of that year, and then broke up. We were immature, and weren’t ready for anything serious, so we went our ways. He dated, and I dated and we were fine with that. During that period we began to become best friends. He would call and complain about the crazy girl that took him to harvest, and I would explain to him about the creepy kid that wouldn’t leave me alone. We always gave each other advice, laughed about awkward subjects and talked constantly.


It was the summer of our senior year when we realized we still had feelings for each other. I had knee surgery that summer, and he came over to watch a movie with me, just to keep me company. We began joking like old times, watching the movie and began to talk. We talked about why we broke up, where we were at that time in our lives, and what we wanted. He kissed me that day, and our relationship started all over again. The time apart let us grow up, we dated others and it was our “ah-ah” moment that we needed to be together.


I’m currently going to school at BYU-I, and he is in Boise attending Northwest Lineman college. We both knew so long ago, to be together forever was what we wanted. Now, exactly 4 years later from that Valentines date, he purposed and we are thrilled as ever!!

No comments: