Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tenderness

Tenderness is what I think of when I see all three of these pictures...

I'm overdue again for more sneak peeks . . . .and full posts, but I'll get to those sometime this week. This first one was just too precious not to post. I was really excited to meet this family and photograph their newest addition. Big sister was enjoying modeling for me, so it was a perfect moment to capture with her now 2nd brother.

And ok, round 2 for sneak peeks. . . these next two were NOT taken by me!!! Bear with me . . . I'm going to brag a little!!!
From my last post, you all should know that I finally got my new camera. Well there were a few reasons that prompted me to save up and purchase that camera. But one of those reasons came about one night as I rambled about some photography to my husband (he gets LOTS of those talks on a very frequent basis). Well one night in particular I mentioned my desire to get a new/backup camera for all these weddings. And one sentence sealed his fate: "Maybe once you get your new camera, I could second shoot with you." Yeah, he meant 'maybe,' but I was too excited to see a spark of interest that he couldn't take that sentence back.

One of the main reasons I decided to make an 'investment' in teaching my husband photography, is because for the most part, he knows more about my camera than I do! He's always teaching me and is the kind of guy who if he doesn't know what something is, does everything he can to figure it out. Sometimes I'm just not curious enough, as long as I get my pictures looking the way I want them to. But he always has been pushing me to "do my homework" (I thought those days were over!). If I noticed a problem with some of my images in the beginning, he'd always know the basic answer using his knowledge of physics. Well knowledge in physics doesn't always make you a great photographer. But because he did know the camera well enough to shoot in Manual his first time, he was a big step ahead (for comparison, it took me almost over a year to be shooting in full manual and getting the shots almost perfect out of camera.) I just wanted to see if it was something he might enjoy doing with me.

Well I'll let the next 2 images speak for themselves when it comes to how he did. (Ok, so yes I do the editing, we have a stumbling block when it comes to John editing his own images - color blind. But I did minimal editing on these. They really did turn out beautiful out of camera.)

The next one is definitely one of my favorites that he's taken!

Um this last one . . . I pretty much squealed when I saw it for the first time! And again when I saw the finished product! I can honestly say that I LOVE working with my husband when it comes to photography. We are a great team, and he lets me take the lead (he says it'll always be that way - I'm ok with that). He does have the advantage of capturing what I set up and position, my great equipment, and one on one time analyzing various shots, but the key is that he knows how to position himself at a different spot than me, and still find a beautiful moment. He knows the kinds of shots that I want, and did a great job at achieving what I wanted him to.

I have no idea if this will be permanent or not. He's giving it a few months fair chance to see how he likes it as well as how it all works with our family life. But if for nothing else, in the end at least he'll start to be a little more creative so that he can take some precious pictures of Caleb and I together, so I'm not the only behind the camera all the time! Haha!

Yeah so if you liked the pictures you saw from Johnny, leave some comment love! I'm sure I'll post more of his pictures along with my own in the final wedding post (which I'm really excited about the pictures I got too! - don't worry!) Great stuff to come!

Thanks for stopping by!

8 comments:

Henderson Family said...

Johnny boy, I can see some real talent comin' on. Way to go!!! The pictures are beautiful.

Stan said...

John you are a natural. I am really amazed at your talent and ability in the photography department. I know it means a lot to Angela that you are giving it a shot. You do an awesome job. You rock!

Stan said...

Oh, and by the way, I will watch Caleb when you second shoot together.

andreaKphotography said...

Wow!! He did great. I wish I could be so lucky with my hubby, he has no interest. That third picture is my fav...man she looks like Reese Witherspoon in that pic :) Beautiful!

Carrie said...

Wow! Good job John! I love the pic of my brother and his new bride! So sweet and tender. Can't wait to see more!

Ginger said...

Thanks for capturing such a tender moment of my daughter and new son-in-law. Angela is definitley rubbing off on you. We are so anxious to see more photos from the big day!Thanks for everything!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, John - you're on your way to a new talent!!! You did a great job - that last photo is breathtaking!!! Way to go!

Shawna LeBaron Hammond

Anonymous said...

Wow! Way to go! John, keep it up. As a fellow photog, let me just say that you have the eye. Great images! And I'm not just saying that because your wife asked us to. I would have said it anyway!